Planning & Codes

The Planning & Codes Department works to ensure that the public’s safety, health, and general welfare are addressed and maintained through the adoption of enforcement of local ordinances and nationally accepted building codes. The Department of Planning and Codes Enforcement serves as the information center for planning, zoning, stormwater, plan reviews, building permits, property maintenance, and rental inspections.

Building Codes

The City of Union City has adopted for residential building, design, and construction the 2018 ICC International Residential Code. Insulation requirements are taken from the 2009 Energy Code charts. 

The City of Union City has adopted for building, design, and construction of structures the following 2012 ICC Codes:

  • International Building Code
  • International Plumbing Code
  • International Mechanical Code
  • International Fuel Gas Code
  • International Fire Code
  • International Property Maintenance Code

Other codes adopted:

  • ICC A117.1-2009 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
  • 1985 Standard Unsafe Building Abatement Code
  • 2009 ICC Energy Conservation Code
Who Can Get A Building Permit?

Residential (new construction, addition, repairs, demolition).
1. The property owner can obtain a building permit for their private residence. The owner assumes all legal responsibilities for liability and workmen’s compensation. State law limits new home construction to one personal residence every two years.

2. A workman can obtain a building permit for any job under $25,000. He must have workers’ compensation insurance or sign a waiver of workers’ compensation that does not apply. (ex – no employees)

3. A licensed contractor can be the general contractor on any project with a cost up to their monetary limit set by the state. Must show proof of workmen’s’ compensation and a current state contractors’ license number for their business.

Commercial – Industrial
1. A workman or owner can do work up to $25,000 provided they show proof of workers’ compensation or sign a waiver.

2. A licensed contractor can work on any job where the cost does not exceed their monetary set by the state. Must show proof of workmen’s’ compensation and a current state contractors’ license number for their business.

How do I get an electrical permit?

Residential (new construction, addition, repairs, demolition).

Electrical permits & inspections are regulated and controlled by the state. A link to their website is below. 
State Electrical Permits 

When State Submittal is Required?

A building plans submittal is required to the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) sealed by a Tennessee registered architect or engineer based on a building’s occupancy type, location, and whether the project scope meets the definition of Construction. [Rule 0780-02-03-.02 Submission of Plans] 

State Submittal Requirements 

State Codes Enforcement Website

Building Permit & Utility

Permit Information, Applications & Forms

Applications & Forms


Utility Permit Application

Size: 508.49 KB
Hits: 645
Date added: 01-12-2021

Required Residential Inspections

Size: 468.10 KB
Hits: 699
Date added: 01-12-2021

Required Commercial Inspections

Size: 385.45 KB
Hits: 664
Date added: 01-12-2021

Building Requirements & Procedures

Size: 202.21 KB
Hits: 782
Date added: 01-12-2021

Building Permit Application

Size: 975.85 KB
Hits: 453
Date added: 01-12-2021

Land Disturbance

All land disturbance activities must acquire a Land Disturbance Permit before a building permit can be issued. This permit allows us to track any land disturbance activities within city limits per our MS4 permit with TDEC. Projects disturbing 1 acre or more (or are part of a larger development) must acquire a Stormwater Permit through the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation. See our Stormwater Management page for more information.

Planning & Review Fees

Follow the link below to see all of the planning & review fees required by the City of Union City. All applicable fees are due at the time of submittal. Plans will not be reviewed until fees are paid.

Fee Schedule

Planning Commission

The Union City Municipal-Regional Planning Commission meets on the third Thursday of each month at noon, in the courtroom of the Municipal Building. The Planning Commission’s duties are to plan for future growth and development of Union City, review site plans and subdivision plans for compliance with city codes. The deadline for submittal to the Planning Commission is 14 days prior to the scheduled meeting.

Planning Documents & Forms

Planning Commission Meetings

Text Amendment Application

Size: 197.47 KB
Hits: 629
Date added: 01-12-2021

Subdivision Submittal Checklist

Size: 416.54 KB
Hits: 613
Date added: 01-12-2021

Subdivision Regulations

Size: 2.56 MB
Hits: 698
Date added: 01-12-2021

Site Plan Checklist

Size: 515.21 KB
Hits: 621
Date added: 01-12-2021

Rezoning Application

Size: 389.52 KB
Hits: 628
Date added: 01-12-2021

    Planning Commission Meetings


    Agenda 02 February 16, 2023

    Size: 467.12 KB
    Hits: 190
    Date added: 15-02-2023

      Zoning References

      UC Zoning Ordinance Current

      Board of Zoning Appeals

      The Union City Board of Zoning Appeals meets on the first Friday of each month at 8:30 a.m. in the courtroom of the Municipal Building. They hear appeals on a case by case basis for the following items: Home Occupations, Administrative Reviews, Special Exceptions, and Variances. The deadline for submittal is 14 days prior to the scheduled meeting. There is a $50.00 application fee for the regular meeting of the Board of Zoning Appeals.

      Board of Zoning Appeals


      Home Occupation Application

      Size: 304.39 KB
      Hits: 594
      Date added: 01-12-2021

      Application For Hearing By The Board Of Zoning Appeals

      Size: 302.41 KB
      Hits: 611
      Date added: 01-12-2021


      Property Maintenance

      The Planning Codes Department answers complaints about overgrown yards, junk/abandoned vehicles, dilapidated buildings, trash, and scattered debris. For more information, visit our Property Maintenance section.


      Rental Inspections

      The City of Union City requires that all rental properties are to be inspected before they can be occupied. Rental Inspections are good for one year. To see all Rental Inspection results, visit our Rental Inspections page.

      Reference and General Info:

      Zoning information and allowable uses, setbacks for new construction, additions, and accessory use. This includes signs, site plans, parking, and fences.



      Tiny House Requirements

      Size: 654.38 KB
      Hits: 630
      Date added: 01-12-2021

      Sign Ordinance

      Size: 184.03 KB
      Hits: 627
      Date added: 01-12-2021

      Sewer Ordinance

      Size: 2.23 MB
      Hits: 556
      Date added: 01-12-2021

      NWTRIC Covenants

      Size: 793.55 KB
      Hits: 618
      Date added: 01-12-2021

      Municipal Code

      Size: 1.85 MB
      Hits: 736
      Date added: 01-12-2021


      John Davidson